Wednesday, September 5, 2012

First Day of School

The first day of school is finally here! Wayne and I have been talking to Nathan and Charlotte about the start of school constantly to make sure they were ready and excited about school. I have been more worried about Charlotte starting school than Nathan. She is so quiet and shy and a little dependent on me so even though I knew this would be a good experience for Charlotte, I was worried she would be sad and scared when the day actually came. So when today finally came, Charlotte was so excited!!! She couldn't wait to put on her new outfit, have her hair fixed, and show off to Daddy!

Last night, I got a little stressed because I have been thinking this whole summer that when school starts, they are only going for half days (until noon) this first week, which meant no naps for Charlotte and no lunch for either of them. Last night, around 8:00, I was looking at the lesson plans that their teachers sent over email and noticed that neither one said anything about ending at noon. WHAT?! I looked back at the school calendar and saw that it said CDO kids go until noon the first week. I realized that CDO stands for "Child's Day Out" which are the babies. Nathan and Charlotte are CWP, "Children's Weekday Program." I hadn't gotten Charlotte's nap mat from my mom yet, didn't have her lunch box, and didn't have groceries for good lunches! Luckily, Mama had already finished her nap mat, so I grabbed my keys and headed to her house to get it. Then I went to Wal-Mart to get Charlotte a girly lunch box and stuff for their lunches. The only lunch boxes they had left were Dora...well, that was perfect because Charlotte loves Dora! She was already asleep when I got home, so I had to wait until the next morning for her to see her new things. Boy was she happy!!!!

Nathan already had all of his things ready to go. Auntie Carrie had gotten him a new super hero backpack, Spiderman lunch box, and a Batman water bottle. He and Charlotte looked so cute this morning!


When we got to school, both Nathan and Charlotte were so happy. Nathan wanted to go to Charlotte's room first to drop her off. I was nervous about the actual drop-off, but when we got to Mrs. Shelley's room, Charlotte walked right in and straight to the area with the baby dolls! We went in the room with her to unpack her bag, but Charlotte really didn't pay much attention to us. Nathan went over to her and said, "Now Charlotte, you have to be a big girl and don't cry. Brother is going to be right down the hall OK?" He was so sweet to her, but I think a little disappointed because she could care less! She just wanted to play with the babies. We both gave her a kiss and hug and walked out without a peep from her!

Now on to Nathan's room. Although Nathan was acting really brave and excited for Charlotte, I could tell he was nervous himself. When we got to his room, he asked me how long he was going to be at school. I told him until 2:00, and he asked if that was a long time. I told him it wasn't all that long, but he was starting to get sad. He kept hugging me and then said he wished he could be in Charlotte's room. I think he was just nervous because it was a new room with new teachers and new kids. Although he knows lots of the kids from last year. They just weren't in the same room as him. Luckily, one of his teachers was right at the door, and led him right in so he didn't have much time to give me a long good-bye and get too sad. 

I am loving having today all to myself, but can't wait to pick them up and see how the day went. Hopefully everyone will be happy!!! I think the hardest thing will be going back tomorrow and Friday because Charlotte only goes Monday and Wednesday, so she won't go another day this week but Nathan will. He'll go a full day again tomorrow and then a half day on Friday. I'm a little worried that he will be sad that he's going to school and Charlotte isn't. But we'll just cross that bridge when we get to it. As for now, I'm going to have another cup of coffee and relax!

3 comments:

Heath and Adriana Stacey said...

They look so sweet and so grown up!

Anonymous said...

I laughed when I read about Nathan going to his class. They will make new friends and feel right at home. Hope Charlotte can take a nap surrounded by all that hot pink. They just looked so cute on their first day...they will always be close I think. Love, Mama, Papa and Cookie

LORA said...

Awwww! They are so cute and growing so fast. I love the nap mat that Pam made, too. It is so girly!! I think I need one of those.

Nathan is so sweet. But, I'll bet he did fine the rest of the week on his own. He's such a big boy now, and besides, he now has the "powers" of the Super Heroes with him --- thanks to Aunt Carrie!


Love,

Lora