Sunday, December 16, 2012

Nashville

Last week, Wayne and I took a mini vacation to Nashville, TN. We go every year for Wayne's company Christmas party, and we usually go a few days early. This year, we left on Sunday morning and came home Wednesday afternoon. Actually I came home on Wednesday...Wayne had to stay and work through Friday.

I was so excited to be going on a trip, going out to eat to nice restaurants, and having time to myself to get dressed up and do my make up! Plus I had gotten some new clothes that I couldn't wait to wear!

Our first bit of excitement happened before we even left Dallas. As we were going through security at the airport, Wayne nudged me and asked me if I knew who the guy was right behind us. No, who? Wayne said it was Jon Daniels the GM of the Texas Rangers! Wayne was going to go up to him and shake his hand but then decided not to. We walk around a bit, go to Starbucks and then head to our gate. When we get there we see Jon Daniels again, and a little while later, here comes this guy bumbling out of the security line, his shirt un-tucked, shoes off and no belt on. Wayne just about died when he recognized him. It was Josh Hamilton, a baseball player for the Texas Rangers! He was MVP a couple years ago and is now is one of the most sought after players. In fact, his contract is up. And they were having their winter meetings in Nashville, where Josh might possibly be traded. Wayne had to up to them now! And he did! He shook both of their hands, told them how much he enjoyed the season, and then I took a picture!

The weather in Nashville was beautiful! It was sunny and cool. And our hotel was really nice. When we first got there, we took a short rest and then met Scott and Janet for dinner and drinks in the hotel. We then went to Tootsies, a famous live music bar downtown. It was very crowded but we managed to find ourselves a table. The first band we listened to was really great. At the end of the night, a 2nd band came to play, and with them, came a ton of people! It turned out that The Who had a concert, and this bad playing at Tootsies had opened for The Who. They told everyone to follow them to Tootsies afterwards!

So the next day was all ours. We slept late, went to lunch at PF Changs and then took a long walk on Vanderbilt's campus. Tonight is a dinner with just Wayne's people. It was so nice to have plenty of time to get ready, fix my hair, and do my makeup...and all the while, no one needs me to take them to potty or fix apple juice!

Everyone met in the lobby and then headed to the restaurant. The food was so good! I had a salad with a soy sauce and vinaigrette type dressing, fried chicken with baked Mac and cheese (the other choice was a rib eye) and carrot cake for dessert. Oh and for appetizers, we had fried green tomatoes and oyster shooters. The food really was amazing!

After dinner, we went downtown for a little while and then met in the hotel lobby for a few drinks before heading to bed. The next day, Wayne had some meetings to go to so I went out to lunch and shopping with Janet and Harriet. Then we had the Christmas party that night. My favorite part about this party was the chocolate fountain! Tons of flowing chocolate with lots of yummy dippers like strawberries, marshmallows, cookies, wafers, etc. I went back twice for that. Over the years, I've gotten to know so many people so it really is fun for me. And I love hearing everyone talk about Wayne! They all love him and it makes me so proud of him!

I did miss my babies, but I have to admit that I had so much fun that I was actually sad to come home!







No comments: