Friday, July 20, 2012

Growing Up, Part 2

Now it's Charlotte's turn. She just turned 2 in May. Part of me can't believe she's already 2 and part of me can't believe that's all it's been. She is such a wonderful addition to our family. It's almost hard to remember what life was like before she came...I did have more sleep, that's for sure!

Charlotte

You are Mommy and Daddy's sweet girl. We all call you that, even Nathan! I love it when Nathan says, "Sweet girl, do you want to watch Barney?" As you get bigger, the thing I notice most about you is the way you talk more and more. You were slower to talk than your brother, but that just goes along with your personality. You are more shy than your brother, and you don't really like to be the center of attention (unlike your brother) which is why I think you didn't start talking as early. Every time we noticed you saying something new, we would get so excited and tell you to say it again. You just smiled, looked down, and said "No, no" very shyly. But now, you are really getting vocal and you are not so shy to tell us (especially Nathan) what you want or don't want!

If Nathan is bothering you, you will say, "Nay Nay, top it!" and you have even screamed at him. It is kind of funny, but sometimes you have to go to time out if you scream or hit at Nathan. You are very sensitive though, and you always feel bad when you get into trouble. If I tell you "No" you immediately give me kisses. I love it! It doesn't take much for you to feel bad for misbehaving. If Mommy or Daddy ever gets on to you for something, you are so sad! Usually, all it takes is for us to tell  you no once. If you go to time out, you are devastated. You always go without having a fit, but as soon as you get out, you are giving us kisses and saying, "sorry" very sincerely.  So sweet.

Even though Nathan can get on your nerves, you still want to do everything he does. Now that you are older, the two of you can really play together. Nathan knows how much you love your baby dolls still, so he will make up a game that involves babies, and you are happy to play! In one game, Nathan was a dinosaur hunter, and you were a mommy with a baby. Nathan had a back pack with his sword, flashlight, and other random things. And you had your baby in a stroller and a diaper bag packed with bottles and diapers. You and Nathan went all over the house pretending like there were dinosaurs. Nathan would tell you to hide somewhere, and you would do it. It was so cute to see you both pretending in your own way.

Nathan is really such an influence on you. You are doing so well with potty training, and it was all because Nathan was able to get you to go. Now the two of you go together all the time! The funniest thing is that you have heard Nathan say, "privacy please" so now when you go to the potty, you hold your hand out and say, "picey peese."

You are still Mommy's little shadow. Wherever I go, you are not far behind. You want to do EVERYTHING mommy does: put on make up, dust, clean, put the dishes away, paint your nails, and even shop! The other day, we were in a store together and I was trying to pick out a new shirt. If I took Nathan to a store with me when he was your age, I was having to chase after him or tell him not to hide in the racks. You, on the other hand, love to pick out clothes. When we were at the store, you stayed right with me and would point to different clothes and say, "Mommy, um ear (come here)" And then you let me try on one thing after another, and we had so much fun!

You used to love Elmo, and you still do, but now your favorite shows are are Barney and Caillou. Nathan tolerates Barney...after he starts watching it, he likes it but wouldn't choose to watch it. But he does love Caillou so that is something we all watch together every day.

Ever since you were a little baby, you were always so cuddly. Though you are older, that is one thing that has stayed constant. You hug, kiss, and cuddle with me ALL the time. Sometimes it gets a little out of control! The other day, we were at a birthday party. You were being very shy and only wanted me to hold you. As we were sitting at a table, talking to my friends, you started kissing me over and over and OVER! I loved it, but I had to tell you to stop so that I could talk to my friends!

Although you can be shy around new people and in new situations, you are getting quite independent at home. You want to do everything by yourself. If I try to do it for you, you say (more like screech) "No, I do it!" and it's hard for me to type exactly the way you say it. Really, it sounds more like all one word and very "southern"...I'm going to do my best to type it the way it sounds: "No-ahhhhh-do-it!!"And the "ahhhhh" part goes up a few notes.

And you LOVE to tell Nathan what to do especially if you're copying Mommy. There are so many times that I will say, "Come on Nathan, we need to go" like if we're leaving the house to go somewhere. You will stomp your foot like you own the place and yell, "Monn Nay-Nay!"

My sweet girl, you are such a blessing to us, and I can only imagine the adventures you and Nathan are going to take us on. I look so forward to all of our "girl" time we will spend together. You are such a blessing. I love you more than you could ever know!

2 comments:

Carrie said...

LOVED reading all about Charlotte!! LOVED the story about her kissing all over you at the birthday party...I can totally picture that!!! Charlotte, you are such a sweet little thing! I love that you are so girly and still so "baby." When you get a little older, we'll switch and have Pearce go to your house to be with Nathan and you can come stay with Auntie Carrie and we'll do girly things together!

Anonymous said...

Charlotte you are our sweet loving little girl. When I come to your house, it is fun to see you run to the door and jump in my arms, lay your little head on my shoulder and just hug me and kiss me...my heart melts. Nathan is a great big brother and will always be your protector. I am proud of Nathan for being so kind to you and teaching you. Love, Mama and Papa