Sunday, July 22, 2012

Mom's Night Out (near disaster)

I just wrote about my two sweet babies and all of the joy they have brought to my life...now I'm going to write about an afternoon from hell! It was this last Monday. I had plans that evening to meet the other moms from my playgroup for a mom's night. We were going to a sushi restaurant and then back over to Erin's house. I was so excited to have a night out with me friends! I wasn't just excited about going out, I was also excited about getting ready...taking a shower, doing my make-up well, fixing my hair and wearing it down instead of in a ponytail, and wearing my new sundress. 

So, we spent the day with Mama going to the spray park, out to lunch, and just playing. We left her house around 4:00, which I thought was perfect because I figured they would both fall asleep in the car on the way home. I'd lay them down on the couch and then have plenty of time to get ready before leaving at 6:30 pm. For some crazy reason, neither one fell asleep in the car. This is so unbelievable to me because they ALWAYS fall asleep in the car if they haven't had a nap and we are driving anytime after 2:00 pm. But oh well, no big deal. I thought I'd just let them play in the bath tub or shower while I take my shower and get ready. They can pretty much play in the tub for over an hour and be happy. So after I take my shower, I get out, turn on my hair straightener, put my robe on, and fix a glass of water. I've got about an hour and a half left so plenty of time. 

I then realized that I left my black sandals outside on the patio so I go out to get them. While I'm standing outside, I take a few minutes to look at my flowers, and then I hear this "click" sound. My heart immediately sinks because I know what that sound is. I heard it once before when Nathan was 2...I look at the door and see a naked, dripping wet little girl looking at me and smiling. I go over to the door thinking maybe, just maybe, she didn't really lock it. Yep, it's locked. I start talking to Charlotte through the glass and try to get her to turn the lock. She kind of tries, but not really. By this time, I'm sweating not only because of the stress of the situation, but also because it's 100 degrees outside! Think, think, think...

"Charlotte, go get Nathan. Please little girl just go get your brother." She just looks at me for a little while, and shakes her head no. "Charlotte, Mommy is serious...One, Two...you're going to go to time out if you don't get Nathan!" Then finally of she runs to my room. I knew Nathan was in the shower though, and I could just see Charlotte trying to get Nathan, and Nathan completely ignoring her or getting annoyed with her because he is playing. So I start to bang on my bedroom window and yell his name. By this time, I'm really panicking (and sweating more). Please hear me Nathan! And then FINALLY, I hear the lock to my bedroom door turn. The door opens and there is Nathan! I give him the biggest hug!!!!

So now, I good 30 minutes has gone by. My hair pretty much air dried (which isn't good for fixing it). I'm still hot, and I only have an hour to get ready. I re-wet my hair so I can blow dry it and start over. By this time, Nathan and Charlotte are tired of being in the shower / bathtub and are getting on each other's nerves. As I start blow drying my hair, the bathroom is getting so hot! I keep telling Nathan and Charlotte to stop splashing the water, stop hitting each other, and stop throwing bath toys. I've dried my hair, and am now trying to straighten it, but that is making me more hot, so I get Wayne's small fan and plug it into the outlet in the bathroom. I thought maybe I'll do my makeup first and cool off. I start to do it, and then I see that Nathan and Charlotte have used half the bottle of soap and have lathered themselves up  more than I thought was even possible. And this is when I really lose it. Nathan starts slapping his head and the suds go EVERYWHERE. Of course, Charlotte joins in, and I go ballistic! "Get out of the shower RIGHT now!!! I mean wash off first, then get out here and dry off! You two are making the biggest mess and Mommy is trying to get ready to go out to eat with her friends! I can't even get my hair dried because I have to keep getting on to you two! I am so frustrated!!!"

And then I hear this cheerful voice come into the bathroom. "Hi! How's my little family? We're going to have a fun night tonight aren't we?" Wayne has no idea he has walked into a minefield. I start crying and tell Wayne that they have been very naughty and all I wanted to do was get dressed up, fix my hair and wear it down, and now it's all messed up so I have to put it in a freaking ponytail. He was like, "Whoa, Mommy...you finish getting ready and I'll watch the kids and do everything else." I get dressed, put my hair up in a ponytail and start doing my makeup when Nathan walks in. He says, "Mommy, I am feeing so sad for you. I can't make my lip stop shaking." I could tell that he really felt so bad that I had just gotten so upset, and then that broke my heart. "Mommy, I feel like I did when I accidentally hurt Charlotte and she was so sad. I am so sorry, and I think you look really pretty. I like your hair like that." He was so sweet and SOOOOOO sincere. I can always tell when he's putting on. But this time, he really meant it.

So I finally got myself all ready, and yes my hair was in a ponytail, but oh well. Nathan and Charlotte gave me a million kisses before I left. I did have the evening from hell, but I ended up having so much fun once I met my friends!!! We had the best dinner and I didn't get home until 1:00!!! Definitely a night to remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh,Mommy, I am still laughing. I wish I had kept them so you could have had time to be glamorous. You did really look pretty in the pic and I love your new dress. My best advice is hide a key that the little darlings can't find. Love, Mom