Friday, November 2, 2012

Carving Pumpkins

Nathan couldn't wait to carve our pumpkins! This year we got one of those carving kits that comes with a little saw-like knife, a scooper, and a pattern book. We also got two pumpkins so Nathan and Charlotte each got their own and got to pick out which face they wanted for their pumpkin. The first step was to cut the top off and scoop out the middle. At first Nathan didn't want to stick his hand in, but once he got started, he loved the messiness of it all! Charlotte was sitting on the island when we first cut the top off, and Nathan pulled out a handful of gooey seeds. He showed it to Charlotte in the hopes she would join in. Charlotte was not interested at all in this part! I am not kidding...she took one look at what Nathan was holding and gagged! At first, Wayne and I were both wondering if that was what she really did. Nathan showed it to her again, and she gagged again! She started holding her arms out for me to get her...while gagging! I really thought she was about to throw up! Needless to say, Nathan and I took over the scooping of the pumpkins. Charlotte played with her babies and then rejoined us when it was time to stencil on the faces and cut them out. Charlotte is definitely my little girly girl, maybe even to the extreme!






So Wayne was in charge of Charlotte's pumpkin, and I was helping Nathan. Charlotte picked the happy face for hers. Wayne drew it out using the stencil and then sawed away with the cutting tool. His looked really good so I couldn't wait to do Nathan's. Nathan picked out a scary "skull" face. Nathan and I got the stencil drawn on, and then it was time to cut...the fun part! I stated cutting out the first eye, got halfway around it, and wouldn't you know it...the blade broke off of the handle! Great. I then tried using one of our knives, but it was too big to really do the details well. Luckily, Wayne thought about his Swiss Army knife which had a similar tool. Yay! Nathan and I completed our pumpkin, and it looked really good!!!








Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

Those are some great looking jack-o-lanterns!!!