Saturday, June 29, 2013

Day 7


Today we woke up early, strapped on our huge backpacks and headed for the train station. We took the high speed train to Florence which was about a 2 hr ride. Once we got to Florence, we walked to our hotel, checked in, dropped off our bags, and headed back to the train station to go to Pisa. This train ride was only about 45 minutes. The Leaning Tower of Pisa was a must-see, and so was the silly "tourist" picture I made Wayne take of me...the one where you act like you're holding the tower up. I felt stupid, but then you realize everyone else is doing the same thing, so oh well! After that, we went back to Florence and walked straight to the Accademia Gallery to see Michelangelo's David. There were lots of other things to see too, but David was the main attraction. I couldn't believe how huge and perfect it was. It really is amazing to see these pieces in real life.  We also saw the Duomo church which is also HUGE...I thought the Vatican was big, but this seemed just as big. And it was so pretty! I loved it. After that, we got gelato (which I have been getting every single day) and then went to the leather markets and leather stores...which is what Florence is known for. I loved that part! I found a purse that I think I can't live without...will have to sweet talk Wayne, ha! We are going back tomorrow to look some more (and pick something out for me) and then head to Venice. We had a great dinner with wine and pasta and a wonderful view. And now we are back in our room getting ready for bed. I am having so much fun! We both miss our babies, but I know they are having fun with Grandmother, Mama and Papa, so I am trying not to think about them too much and just enjoy every minute here.

And here are pictures of our hotel in Florence. It is a lot different than Rome's, a lot more modern and quite a bit bigger. It's fun to have been able to stay in two totally different hotels, and really like each one.










3 comments:

Carrie said...

Wayne better get you that purse! Man...I need a new purse too :)

Anonymous said...

Oh Wow Ashley and Wayne, I am just seeing these pics and they are fab! You both look great and having so much fun. Thanks for posting all the wonderful pics. I feel like I'm experiencing Italy through you.
Love,
Missy

Anonymous said...

We loved Florence. You are having a wonderful trip...memories for a lifetime. Now you will want to go to Europe every year. I always love riding the train...not far to another great place. Love, Mom and Daddy