Saturday, April 30, 2016

Our New Addition

We (the kids and me) have been wanting a dog for the longest time. In the last two years, wayne has kind of warmed up to the idea of having a pet but he's a practical person who can think of all the reasons not to have a dog: cost, responsibility, mess, boarding, etc...  Nathan, Charlotte, and I love going to the pet store to look at puppies but I knew I didn't really want a puppy and that I would rather get a rescue dog...one that's a little older and very sweet. Last Friday, Nathan was out of school so we decided to go to Operation Kindness to just look at the animals. I had no intention of actually getting one. Until we saw this little guy. His shelter name was Bandito. He is 9 months old and seemed so sweet. We got him out and took him to the play area to play with him. We all fell in love with him!!!! He was so sweet and just wanted us to pet and love on him. He walked well on his leash and I just knew he was the one! I tried calling Wayne several times but couldn't get ahold of him. We were at the shelter for 3 hours and I finally decided to just get him and suffer the consequences later. This is something I would NEVER have thought I'd do but I just knew he was meant for us. After adopting him, I was so scared of what Wayne would say. I felt very light headed on the way home. When daddy got home and saw that we had a dog, he was not happy. Plus he wasn't feeling good either so I immediately regretted my impulse buy. But I also knew that if we were ever going to get a dog, he was the one. I did keep telling the kids that this wasn't a done deal. We were going to keep him for the weekend just to see how we do with a dog and then take him back on Monday. I was hoping that Wayne would bond with him like we had but quickly realized that probably wouldn't happen. But Wayne did see how sweet he was, that he would walk on his leash and off of it but still stay with us. We all slept in the living room and he slept right with the kids. He also pottied outside and if Nathan or Charlotte fell down or got hurt, he ran right to them and licked them. He was kind of selling himself. On Sunday night, Wayne agreed to let him stay one more day. Nathan had a soccer game on Sunday so we took him with us. He was such a good boy. Finally, on Monday, Wayne and I talked about him for a long time and Wayne agreed he was a great dog. We took him on a walk and up to the park to play. He was wonderful. That night, Wayne made us so happy and said we needed to pick a name!!! Yay!!! The naming took a while. We had a list of about 50 names and narrowed it down to our 4 favorites. Wayne liked Cash, Nathan liked Winston, Charlotte liked Maverick, and I liked Rusty. We finally decided on Rusty, and it all seems so meant to be. We all love him, even Wayne. 











No comments: