Sunday, May 12, 2013

Charlotte's Big Girl Room

Charlotte's room is finally finished!!!! YAY!!! This has been a project in the making for several months. The first thing I did was spend a couple of weeks picking out all of the fabric. I was pretty much obsessed with finding just what I wanted. I spent every free minute checking out different fabric stores and collecting samples. When I finally decided on all of the fabric, I had to measure everything, which isn't as simple as it seems. I had to think about adding extra for seams, what direction I wanted the fabric to go, adding in extra just to have it, etc...it sounds easy now, but I obsessed over it for about 4 hours the night before I went to buy it all. Buying fabric isn't like buying clothes. You can't return it if you change your mind or make a mistake. Plus, when I got the samples, the fabric number and price per yard was on my ticket with a brief description of the fabric, but I couldn't figure out which number went with which fabric! And I had to know the product number so I could match it up with the price and estimate the total cost. So what do I do? Google it! After typing in every item number on the computer, and narrowing it down (I had over 35 samples!) I finally got everything matched up, but I ran into a huge problem...the comforter fabric was the last one I typed into JoAnn's website. When I typed it in, it said that this fabric was discontinued. WHAT?! I just assumed that if any of my fabric ran out, I could order more of it. When I woke up the morning of the big fabric purchase, I called each of JoAnn's stores to see who had enough of my fabric...none of them did. I was going to be so disappointed if I had to start my search all over...I mean everything I picked coordinated with the comforter! The last store I called was located in downtown Dallas, and I totally lucked out. They had JUST enough of my fabric in stock! And since I allowed extra for seams and extra for mixups, I actually had quite a bit left over, ha!
 
I painted Charlotte's furninture with Annie Sloan's chalk paint which was wonderful! I did it the weekend Wayne and Nathan went camping (beginning of April). I spent ALL weekend painting! The paint was really easy though because you don't have to prime or prep, just paint it on. I painted the head/foot board, dresser, book shelf, and mirror. VERY TEDIOUS WORK! But I was very happy with it. I also spent a few weeks shopping for accessories. What I couldn't believe was that it took me months to plan, prepare, shop, obsess, and it only took mom a few days to sew everything! She made the comforter, dust ruffle, and curtains. When she brought everything over and Wayne and I put it all together and hung the pictures, and fixed it all up, I was so happy. Her room turned out exactly how I wanted and envisioned. It is perfect. Thank you Mama for all of your hard work, and thank you Wayne for helping me!!!
 
The rug next to Charlotte's bed was one of Charlotte's birthday presents from Mama and Papa. I love it!

And the Pottery Barn chair to the left is Charlotte's birthday present from Mommy and Daddy.



The sham is something I still need to finish. Mom and I had the idea that I could help sew the sham as my contribution to the room...but I haven't gotten around to it yet...Mama, do I really need to sew anything???




I did get creative and add the same trim to the lamp shade that mom put on the curtains. Aren't you all proud of me?!




We still need to put these up. These are the curtain tie back hooks Wayne has to install for me. The ribbon on the curtains in the below picture are just to show us what the drapes will look like pulled open. The hooks are going to look so cute!




 
This is the little sign above her bed. I love Charlotte's room!!!! And what's even better, Charlotte loves it too! Although she hasn't slept in it yet. She and Nathan still like to sleep together in Nathan's room. That will be my next goal...get her to sleep in her new, beautiful room!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Darling, looks just like Charlotte, Cute, SWEET!! Love her room! The lamp shade is really nicely done Ashley...proud of you. And maybe you don't need to sew the pillow because you did such a good job of wrapping the fabric..who would know it isn't sewn. All the little accessories are the finishing touch..LOVE it. Now where is Charlotte? Love, Mama and Papa, and Cookie

Anonymous said...

Hi, this weekend is nice for me, since this time i am
reading this impressive educational post here at my
residence.

Feel free to visit my homepage ... directory business