Tuesday, February 11, 2014

First field trip

Two weeks ago (I know I am behind!!!) Nathan got to go on his first field trip and I got to chaperone! Nathan was so excited because we were going to get to ride a school bus, and he has never been on one before. We have been having some crazy winter weather here so I was kind of worried that plans would get changed. We were supposed to leave first thing that morning, go to the Dallas Children's Theater for the play "Go Dog Go" and then head back up to Frisco for a picnic lunch at a new and really cool park. The teachers said that if if ended up being too cold, we would just come back to school for lunch, which wouldn't be that special. But everything ended up working out! It warmed up a bit and was a nice sunny day! We did have one "incident" at the very end...

As the chaperone, I was supposed to be in charge of Nathan and two other friends. We would ride on the bus together, sat in the play together and have lunch together. I ended up lucking out because one of the boys did not come to school that day so I actually just had Nathan and one other boy, Aidan. What an easy chaperone job! The bus ride was very exciting for everyone, and surprisingly, everyone was really well behaved. They all joined in singing Spanish songs the whole way which I loved. One kid would shout out the beginning of the song and then everyone else would join in.

The play was was cute, but a little long. The bad thing is that these kids are used to eating lunch at 10:30 at school, and we didn't get to the park until noon! They were all starving!!! When we finally got to the park, Nathan ate every single bite of his lunch. I was so glad I packed a lot for him. He even ate part of my sandwich! His friend Aidan wasn't feeling all that good. He said his stomach hurt. I figured he was just so hungry that maybe he ate too much. After our picnic lunch, the kids all played while the mommies talked. Aidan stayed on the blanket with me and just laid his head down. So he really wasn't feeling good. When the teachers blew the whistle, we got everything packed up and started walking back to the school buses. Since it was all four kindergarten sections and about 30 moms, there was a huge crown walking down the sidewalk to the buses. Nathan and Aidan were right with me at first, and then I realized Aidan fell behind. As I'm walking, I turn around to call for Aidan to catch up. This huge crowd is walking and then all of a sudden, the crowd splits right down the middle and there is Aidan, leaned over and throwing up. Oh great. When Nathan sees it, he jets off to the side. Thanks Nathan. In my mind I'm thinking...I can't handle other kids' vomit, but I'm also responsible for him...this is disgusting...but I'd want someone to help my little boy...where are the freaking teachers?!...I can't just stand here...oh thank goodness, here are the teachers... So I went over and appeared to be searching for some paper towels in my bag, but was actually buying a little time so the teachers could clean him up. I hate to sound harsh, but that really is one thing I can't handle. I was sweet to him though after he was all wiped up, mouth swished out and we were away from Ground Zero. The bad part was that we had to all get back on the bus with him! He did say he felt so much better though. It was really cute that all of the kids were really sweet to him and didn't make fun of him. I love how 5 and 6 year olds are so non-judgemental!!! Better than me. So this was a fun field trip but definitely one I won't forget!







No comments: