Monday, August 26, 2013

Nathan's First Day of Kindergarten

Seriously?! My baby boy is starting kindergarten?! When I was teaching, I used to always make fun of those moms who cried when their kids started kindergarten...now I'm one of them! Although, thankfully, I didn't cry in front of him, I only got teary eyed when I met my friend Jennifer in the cafeteria for donuts...I was telling her how Nathan kept wanting to give me kisses...and the last one I gave him, he told me to kiss him right on the cheek and not wipe it off (I usually wipe his face if I get lipstick or lipgloss on him). That just about made me break down! Nathan was really excited and a little nervous, but he did not cry one bit. I was really proud of him. It helped that we walked to school with his best friend Jake who lives right across the alley from us. 

This will be an interesting year because Nathan's school is starting a new program called "Spanish Immersion." He will have class in English with Mrs. Holditch one day (today was English) and then Spanish with Sra. Melendez the next day. He will alternate like this the whole year and continue in the program through 6th grade...as they get older, they get more and more Spanish. The goal is to have this group of kindergarteners completely fluent in Spanish (reading, writing, speaking) by the time they enter middle school. They will continue a similar type program there too. It does seem scary to me, but I think it will be a really great opportunity for Nathan. Now Wayne and I will have to learn Spanish! And once Charlotte starts Kindergarten, she will do the same thing so the two of them will probably conspire against us!!!

Notice Nathan's new shoes...we went shopping this weekend, and they each got new school shoes. Nathan thought he was SO COOL! 













No comments: