Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Change In Plans

Well, I woke up Monday morning at 4:30 a.m. with mild contractions. They weren't bad at all, just cramps. But they were 6 minutes apart. I really didn't think I was in "real" labor, so I just laid in bed feeling them for a while. When they started to get a little stronger, I woke Wayne up. We started keeping track of them for 2 more hours. Some contractions were really close like 3 and 4 minutes. Others were a little further apart. Wayne told me, we better get our things together and start heading to the hospital, but I really was still second guessing myself. I thought that if it was real labor, the contractions would hurt worse, but they really weren't too terrible. And I kept telling Wayne I didn't want to be one of those women who gets to the hospital, all excited, and then is told to go home because it's false labor. But Wayne was very persuasive and pretty much told me to just get in the car because we were going. Of course, I had to take a quick shower first and try to look halfway decent just in case.

He kept asking me how was the pain on a scale of 1-10 and in the beginning, I was saying 3, then it got to 4. During the car ride, the contractions were getting more uncomfortable, but I was still in denial and sticking to my 3's and 4's. Once we got to the hospital, the contractions really were starting to hurt, and I started to give in to the excitement that I really might have Nathan that day, but I still didn't want to get my hopes up. The nurse led me to an examining room and there was my doctor. He just happened to be on call that day. He examined me, and then said, "Honey, you're already 7-8 centimeters. We're having a baby today!"

No comments: