Thursday, August 19, 2010

Nathan and the Dentist

Nathan had his first "real" dentist appointment two days ago. I prepared myself for a catastrophe, but he was an absolute ANGEL! I'm not kidding! He never cried. He never asked for me (although I was right there with him), and he did everything they asked him to do! It was unbelievable! I've heard plenty of stories from friends that this first time can be really scary, and not to worry if Nathan doesn't like it or has a fit. So I was feeling really proud of my big boy!

It did help that this was a very kid-friendly office. Everyone was so sweet to Nathan. When we first went to the back, They weighed him (he's 34 lbs) and then had him hop up on the chair to get x-rays taken. Well, they told him the x-ray machine was a special camera that takes pictures of your teeth, and they let him look in it before they took the picture. Nathan looked inside and said, "Mommy, I think I see a bear in there!" Then they put the lead apron on him, and he said (very matter of factly) "Thank you, now I won't be so cold."

After the x-rays, they took him to a different room where they did the cleaning. Nathan talked and talked to the ladies the whole time...he was very charming! He got to pick out a movie to watch on the ceiling and a pair of sunglasses to block out the bright lights. When they started cleaning his teeth, they told him the toothpaste tasted like chocolate. And Nathan said, "Ohhhhh, I like chocolate. Mama has chocolate at her house...and marshmallows too." It was just so funny to hear all of the things he was talking about. He even said he was a big boy now because he was three and he has five teeth in his mouth! He was so proud of that :)



After his two girlfriends cleaned his teeth, Dr. Hinze came in to look him over, and Nathan said, "Hey! You're a boy!" Boy am I relieved to have this visit over with and that we were able to leave in a happy mood!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

So cute! He does have more than 5 teeth, right?