Monday, August 23, 2010

Springfield Birthday Party

Two weekends ago, Nathan, Charlotte, and I had our first BIG road trip together. We took a 7 hour drive to Springfield, Missouri to visit my family and have a birthday party for Nathan. He turned 3 that weekend! Wayne was planning on going with us, but couldn't get away from work. So instead of canceling the trip, I braved it and went by myself (my parents were out of town and meeting us there on their way home)! It was such a last minute decision, that I didn't give much thought to...I was just thinking I better hurry and get on the road so that I'm not driving when it's dark. If I had spent too long thinking about it, I probably would have chickened out! Actually, both Nathan and Charlotte were excellent travelers. We stopped once after 3 hours of driving and went into Braums for a potty break and a treat. Then we went back to the car where I fed Charlotte and let Nathan play inside the car. We then got gas and got back on the road with the hopes of not stopping again. I kept Nathan awake in the car during the first half of the trip so he soon fell asleep along with Charlotte and we drove 4 more hours! Needless to say, I was dying of thirst when we got there because I didn't want to have to stop to use the restroom with two kids!

We arrived at my cousin Abba's house safe and sound (the car was a mess though from driving through places and handing Nathan snack after snack to keep him happy). My parents also met us at Abba's house after taking my aunt out for dinner. This was the first time Aunt Mona and the rest of my family met Charlotte.



My dad's sister (Aunt Mona) with Nathan and Charlotte


Mama and Nathan

The next day, we went over to my sister, Lisa's house for lunch and met my other sister, Missy, and her kids, Jake and Haleigh. They live in St. Louis, Missouri, and we haven't seen them in FOREVER! It was so wonderful that they were able to make the trip down and that we could spend the weekend together.


My twin nephew and niece, Jake and Haleigh.


Nathan loved having another little boy to play with, and Jake was so sweet to Nathan!


Charlotte gave Missy lots of smiles!


Missy, Charlotte, and me

After lunch, we came back to Abba's house so that Nathan could take a good nap and we could get ready for his party. Abba and Chuck and their granddaughter, Madeline, went all out for Nathan's party!



Madeline was so proud of the Thomas pinata that she helped stuff :)


And here is Nathan's Lightning McQueen cake! I couldn't wait for him to wake up to see it!


I couldn't believe that Nathan took a 3 hour nap in a bed he wasn't used to! When he woke up, he was so excited and said, "Is it my party now?!"


I think he likes the cake!


My whole family came over for dinner that evening and to help us celebrate Nathan's birthday. It had been a while since Nathan had seen everyone, but he was in the best mood and was so sweet and talkative to everyone. I was so proud of my little boy!


Nathan and Madeline...I loved that Madeline was still in town visiting Abba and Chuck (she spent the week before with them). She was the sweetest little girl and played and played with Nathan.


Nathan with Maggie (who he adored!). Maggie is Chuck and Abba's doggie.


Me, Aunt Mona, my sister Lisa, Charlotte, and the birthday boy.


Nathan, Mama, Jake, Aunt Mona, and Uncle Gordon. We had the best dinner with hot dogs, hamburgers, potato salad, chicken salad, pasta, chips, and more...I can't remember what all there was, but I know the kitchen was full of food!


Nathan with his cousins: Jake, Haleigh, Victoria, Madeline, and Taylor


It's finally time to open presents! Nathan stood here posing for all of us to take his picture...he was not the least bit shy!


Here he is trying to show us with his fingers how old he is :)


These are the sweetest kids in the world!


Opening presents: Nathan got so many wonderful presents! He got a new CARS Movie car, a remote control Lightning McQueen, a magnetic puzzle, a rocket launcher, a paint smock and dinosaurs, money, and a CARS plate/bowl/water bottle set. Oh and another neat thing Aunt Mona and Uncle Gordon gave him was a small ceramic bull planter that my dad had in his room when he was a little boy. It was so sweet.


My pictures of the kids breaking the pinata didn't turn out, but here is the candy!


Jake shared his candy with Nathan and helped him open everything.


And he gave him his last two Tootsie Rolls :)


Charlotte stayed awake for most of the party, but just couldn't take the excitement :)


Time for cake!


Make a wish and blow out the candles!


Little Miss Charlotte didn't want to miss out on cake! While Lisa held her, Missy kept talking to her and Charlotte smiled and laughed out loud over and over!


And this is my cousin, Matt...Chuck took this picture at the end of the night...3 year old birthday parties are exhausting!

I had such a wonderful weekend with my family. I just with Wayne could have been there to see how much fun Nathan had, but we'll just have to plan another trip soon. I love all of you, and thank you so much for making Nathan's birthday so special.

No comments: