Friday, June 29, 2012

No More Diapers?

Charlotte is well on her way to being potty trained! It is so crazy to me because Nathan wasn't ready until the summer he turned 3. I tried with him before that, but it didn't seem to click until the end of the summer. We had the added pressure of him starting school 3 (one day a week), but one of the requirements was that the kids had to be fully potty trained. Charlotte first started using the potty on her own 3 months ago, but it was very sporadic. I got the little potty out for her just to get her used to the idea, but it was a while before she actually used it. I remember the day she first did it. We had an electrician out to fix our celing fan and a few other things around the house. As I was paying him, Nathan and Charlotte ran over to me (she had no clothes on) carrying the potty, and Nathan was yelling excitedly, "Charlotte went tee-tee in the potty!!!" I just about died because he is this guy in my kitchen and here are my kids carrying a potty full of tee-tee! At least the guy was young with kids of his own, so he understood and got a kick out of it. So after that, she still used the potty off and on, but not on a regular basis. It wasn't until two weeks ago that she started using it more often. To encourage her, Nathan and I picked out a bag full of mini chocolate candies...something she doesn't normally have. And I told Charlotte that she could have a potty treat every time she used the potty. I also told Nathan he could have one too if he helped me remind her to go. Well, that plan kind of back fired on me because Nathan was pressuring her every 5 minutes to use the potty. She was mad at him and Nathan was mad at her because he wanted a treat! Plus Wayne and I kept eating them too, so that big bag of treats lasted all of 1 day!

This last week while Nathan was in Vacation Bible School at St. Andrews, I really worked with her. We only put diapers on at night or for naps, and she has hardly had any accidents! She even has dry diapers in the morning. What is really funny to me is that she can now pull her pants down herself and even takes her diaper off by herself to use the potty. And just last night she did the "other" thing on the potty! Yay Charlotte!!! So now, my next goal is to get her to sit on the big potty. Wayne is excited because of the fact that we're not buying so many diapers now :) 

2 comments:

Carrie said...

Good girl! I am so proud of you, Charlotte! You are getting to be a big girl, but you will always be our little baby :)

Anonymous said...

I am laughing. I remember when you and Carrie were that age and you shared, yes shared, the potty...one on one side, the other on the other side...what a good idea you two had. Love, Mama