Friday, July 31, 2009

Day 3

The third night was going to be the actual religious ceremony at our resort. It was supposed to start at 5:00 and then last through the morning ending with brunch! Since we knew it was going to be a long but fun night, we did more relaxing. We slept in and then went to breakfast. The restaurant that we always ate breakfast at was an open restaurant looking out at the pool, and the food was delicious. We always said we'd eat "light" for breakfast and lunch since our dinners have been so massive, not to mention our drinks, but that never happened. We chowed down for all three meals! After breakfast, Wayne and I had a couples massage. Wayne has never had a massage before, but I talked him into having one on this trip. He said he wasn't sure how he'd feel having someone else rubbing all over him...well, I think he's hooked now!

The massage was in the spa on a private balcony overlooking the ocean. It was so relaxing to be laying there, getting a massage, and hearing the waves. Afterwards, Wayne and I went back to the room and took a nice long nap to get ready for the night. Since Wayne was in the wedding, he had to leave earlier than me. I loved being able to take my time getting ready, sitting on the balcony doing my makeup, and not having to worry about anyone else except me...with an almost 2 year old, that's rare!


Even though the wedding was supposed to start at 5:00, it didn't actually start until 6:30. We've come to realize that's not unusual in Mexico...everyone takes their time and is very relaxed. I was having a hard time getting my dress zipped by myself. I looked at the clock and saw that it was already five, and I was still in my room, so I ran out (half zipped) hoping I'd see a maid or someone in our group on the way to the wedding who could help me. When I got to the beach area, frantic I was late, I saw only a handful of people there. Plus workers were still decorating! So I went back to the room and took my own time :)


You can see the groomsmen in lavender getting ready to walk out.


There's Wayne on the right.


Here comes the bride!

This little boy was the ring bearer and was so precious. He reminded me of Nathan and made me miss him :(


The wedding was beautiful. It was a full Catholic ceremony and was in Spanish so I didn't really understand what was being said. We had a program with everything written out so I tried to follow along as much as I could. Really, I just loved sitting there in such a beautiful setting. All of the guests were given beaded umbrellas for the sun, bubbles, and handmade fans. The planning and details for the wedding, and the whole weekend, were so perfect.


Here we are after the ceremony, during the sit down dinner.


Our dinner was served at tables around the pool area. Lights and candles were everywhere! Although there were other guests at the resort besides the wedding party, it was closed off to them so it really seemed like the wedding guests were the only ones there. I loved it because as the weekend went on, Wayne and I got to know more and more people. After dinner, these dancers on stilts danced up the stairs to where we were and started pulling guests down the stairs to the tented area. When we got there, this is what we saw...



Fire dancers! The tent was huge with white couches and chairs for everyone to sit on. Waiters walked around offering drinks and appetizers, and everyone was in a party mood!


After the fire dancers did their show, Fernando and Mayra had their first dance. They danced to the song, "Come What May" from the movie Moulin Rouge. I love that movie and song!


While they danced, we lit sparklers. It was so romantic!


This picture needs a little explaining. After Fernando and Mayra danced, a live band came on stage and really got the party going. During their songs, while everyone was on the dance floor, they passed out props. The longer you stayed and danced, the more props you got. Most of you who know me know that I am not a dancer...I have absolutely no rhythm! Well, that night (after a few drinks), I felt like I was really from Mexico! Everyone was such a good dancer, especially the girls. So Wayne got me out on the dance floor and I completely let loose! I had so much fun, and, in my mind, I thought I was the best dancer ever! The band passed out feather boas, hats, wigs, glasses, beads, balloons, and more...and I danced with all of them!


Fernando and Wayne...Even though my plan was to party all night long and into the morning, I just couldn't make it. I ended up going back to the room around 1:30. I really wanted to stay up longer, but instead of spacing out my fun, I went all out in the beginning. I had the most fun I've had in a long time! Wayne, on the other hand, stayed out until 7:00 am! He and a handful of other people saw the sun rise...I'm so proud of him :) What is so crazy is that the band played that whole time and never took a break! Needles to say, he was pretty much dead the next morning. He came in at 7:00, got in bed, and I could hardly wake him up for brunch at 10:30.

We knew we were going to be exhausted from all of the wedding activities, so instead of flying home that day, we went to Cancun on our own, and spent that day and night recovering.

Thank you so much to Fernando and Mayra for including us in your special day. It was a trip we'll never forget. Wayne and I are already wanting to plan a 2nd trip to the same place :)

No comments: