Monday, September 12, 2011

Drive Through Safari Park

Over Labor Day weekend, Wayne and I took Nathan on a day trip to the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glen Rose, TX. It was a 2 hour drive, but we had so much fun. Nathan is such a good traveler. Plus we left Charlotte with Grandmother so that we could just spend the day with Nathan.

I was reading the brochure and found out that there are over 1,000 animals there that roam freely on the 1,700 acres of land. Many of the species represent extinct in the wild, endangered or dwindling populations that require cooperative efforts to save them. So, along with having fun, our money was going to a good cause!


Nathan broght along his bag of safari animals so that he could hold whatever it is he's looking at. It was so cute to watch him digging through his bag to find the right animal!






We bought a bag of special food at the visitor center, and Nathan wasn't stingy feeding the animals!




The zebras were all over the place, and they were HUNGRY! They were not shy about eating the food from our hands and would even stick their heads all the way in the car! They were our favorites because they were so interactive!





Here is Nathan showing the zebra his toy zebra. He said they were friends :)











Nathan even helped daddy drive and was actually pretty good at it! There were a few times that Wayne just let Nathan steer without him helping!











We saw some cars being able to feed the giraffes. After looping around, we got our turn to try to get it to feed out of our hands...in the meantime, another group of zebras were waiting for us AGAIN!




So this time, I decided I wanted to try to feed them. Until now, I had only been taking pictures and leaving the animal feeding to Wayne and Nathan. I just knew it would be my luck that I'm the one they decide to bite! Wayne knew how  nervous I was, and as I was holding out my hand with one or two pellets of food, Wayne thought it would be so funny to drop more food onto my lap! The crazy zebras stuck their whole heads in to get the food and completely scared me to death. You can see in the 2nd picture that I was all the way into Wayne's seat...those are my legs in the picture! Bad Daddy! Of course, Nathan thought it was hilarious to scare Mommy and make her scream :)






Nathan had no fear! Here he is lining up the food for the zebras to eat from his window. Good plan Nathan!





We finally made our way to Mr. Giraffe! He wasn't going to every car for food, so we were just hoping he'd come to us. Nathan found his toy giraffe and was so excited to see one in real life. He skipped the car in front of us but came to ours! Wayne fed him as I snapped away!







The rhino was the last one that Nathan REALLY wanted to see. And here he is!







After our safari drive through, we also went to the Dinosaur State Park which was only a few miles up. I'll update that post later this week. We had such a great time!

No comments: